Thursday 23 October 2014

Diwali 2014

Diwali/Deepavali, I must say the most tiring Indian festival. It begins almost months ahead of the actual festival date. Lots of cleaning, shopping, decorations, praying, parties etc etc etc.

This year shopping was out of my list as all three(me, hubby and baby) had new clothes for festival already ready, Thanks to our previous month holiday. So one task out of the list.

Next was the major headache that any working women has...CLEANING. I was struggling and juggling to complete this task for weeks and with my little one around it was much more tougher to keep her busy while we were busy with the actual task. Here is how we turned cleaning a fun and entertaining family activity.

Pihu and Papa cleaning and playing tallest tower game. She the smile on her face.
 This year I also made some decorative diya's. Bought some mud diya's and using fabric paints and glitters gave them little makeovers.



These handpainted diya's formed return gifts for those who visited us on the festival day. Nicely packed with some prasad and sweets.


How can any festival start or end without festival special goodies & foodies? This year we(me and mom) made few items the so called "pakwaan". OMG after office making these items till midnight without even tasting them and then next day again back to work, what a hectic week it was. 

We made 'namak paare', 'mixture' and 'khove ki gujiya'; as usual gulab jamuns were last in the list and poor thing they couldn't make it to the festival. We made them almost 20 days after the festival ;)
No festival in india is celebrated without rangoli. Here is what I made at my house a chutuku mutuku corner rangoli at the main entrance.
We normally arrange a separate altar for special pooja's. We have set one next to our regular pooja altar, the entire pooja was performed here only.
Diwali without crackers is incomplete, considering environment in mind we tried to keep our fireworks in limit. We ended our day with the little firework just as ritual.
And yeh my little pataka in all her cute cute nakhra's below
This year there was diya decoration competition for parents at my little ones school, below are some pics from the event.
Hope you enjoyed reading my blog....!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment